By Simone Ashton
This recipe was originally one we pulled from taste.com.au but we’ve adjusted it slightly to add more flavour and zing!
So here’s our recipe for Mongolian Lamb Stir Fry that you can whip up in under 15 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Shao Hsing (Chinese rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 500g lamb leg steaks, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or peanut oil or sesame oil)
- 1 brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1-2 bunches of brocollini, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 handful of green beans, trimmed and cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
*Add chilli flakes if you like it a tad spicy!
- Step 1 – Combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon shao hsing and cornflour in a glass or ceramic bowl. Add lamb. Toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. (Refrigerate for 30 minutes, if time permits.)
- Step 2 – Heat a wok over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons peanut oil. Swirl to coat. Stir-fry a third of lamb for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned and just cooked. Transfer to a bowl. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with oil and remaining lamb in 2 batches.
- Step 3 – Add remaining oil to wok over high heat. Swirl to coat. Add onion. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until softened. Then add garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add capsicum, brocollini and beans. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just a little bit tender, but still crunchy.
- Step 4 – Return lamb to wok. Add remaining soy sauce and shao hsing with oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, sugar and sesame oil. Stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Serve with cooked jasmine rice. Cook rice as per packet instructions. Use a cupped handful size potion of Jasmine rice for each bowl and then top with Mongolian Lamb.
*Please note – If you like it spicy like me, add some chilli flakes in at the point where you add your veggies.